Monday, May 24, 2010

More Chicks!


So saturday while I was in Salt Lake my dad surprised the kids and brought by two more chicks  these ones are bantam hens.  When full grown they will be about half the size of a normal chicken and they lay smaller eggs.  They are about the size of a robin right now and so they could easily hop right out of my chicken run fence and before people knew it Abbey ( Our retriever) grabbed one in her mouth.  Natalie screamed at her made her drop it and  she put it in the coop. By the time I got home it was still sitting in the coop tramatized.  I was not sure it would snap out of it and make it through the night, but it did!  Yesterday it was happily pecking around with the other chick/chickens.   I was a little frustrated at first when I heard my Dad got me two more chicks for me.  I thought it would be too many, but now I am very happy about it.  These little hens are more like pets!  Because they could fit through the fence I had to wire on a smaller chicken wire around the fence and while I was doing that the  little bantam chick who was NOT tramatized by Abbey followed me everywhere I stood. At one point I was sitting cross legged  tieing wire onto the bottom of the fence and It walked up to me and into my lap and fell asleep.  Then later while Natalie was holding it it jumped up on her shoulder and perched there.  They don't seem to be afraid of people at all and they don't cower when you reach out to pick them up.  So I think they will be a lot of fun.  So that makes 7 chicks/chickens now 2 Road island reds, One white leghorn (I would have had 2, but Abbey killed the other one), 2 Araucanas (My dad brought by these chicks about 2 weeks ago. They are more shy and flighty and will lay pastel eggs) and the 2 Bantams.  I think that is plenty! I hope we are not up to our ears in eggs when they start laying.  We might have to start an eggs saleing business!
Natalie has been teasing me and saying  between the garden and the hens lately I am turning into a farmer lady :-)  I had to smile at that because am so winging it right now! (excuse the pun)

3 comments:

  1. Michelle- you are a cute little chicken farmer! We have 4 chicks in the garage right now, gotta biuld a pen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! You ARE a farmgirl!! When are you going to come and visit us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie I am so glad you found my blog! I would love to come visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete